Friday, August 01, 2008

Catching Up on Good Times

Oh gosh, I came back from a lovely dinner and heavenly desserts... ^_^
To rewind a bit to today's dinner, this would be Kok Hei. The last time I saw him was when we were doing SAM (year 2003~?!?!?) five years ago. Oh boy, time sure flies, doesn't it?? Though I must say that he looked much more mature from the last time I saw him.
I met him at Oakleigh station at 6pm. Taking 2 limited express trains, the trip there was only 20 minutes. He was working as an accountant here in Melbourne and had to take the bus from his workplace here. We had greek dinner. Yay~! We had Souvlakia(pronounced sue-vlak-yah) lamb Shish-cabob, served on top pita bread, with sliced red onions & chips, sour cream spread and mustard dressing. [lol] That's what I managed to see and taste.. (I totally apologise for the blerk photo, I swear it taste so very much nicer than it looks) [lol]

He ordered an extra side dish of pita and chips which we shared. Dinner came up to aus12.
Then he brought me to an awesome cafe / dessert shop called Niko. The dessert pieces were heavenly... This one was recommended by the staff. Vanilla Slice. Slight honey glaze on the top, custard centre and puff biscuit on the base.
Kok Hei recommmended this to me. Baklava. Delicious~!

Taken from wiki "Baklava or baklawa is a rich, sweet pastry featured in many cuisines of the former Ottoman(Turkey) countries. It is a pastry made of layers of phyllo dough filled with chopped walnuts or pistachios and sweetened with syrup or honey."
And this... I do not know the name since there wasn't a name label for it. On the outside is lightly fried almonds, it's not hard (crunchy) to eat.. it's kind of soft like caramel but not sticky. it's good ^_^
It was really really good. ^_^ It's not so sweet (so you can eat quite a bit of the desserts) but tasteful (they are pretty to look at, especially on display). Dessert was aus6.

I waited with him for his bus... he has to take the bus to go back to Glen Waverly. His bus came at 8.09pm (on time). He has the bus schedule on his phone. To which, I made my way to the train station (it was just across the street from the bus stop)... I had to wait for 30 minutes for the next train, waiting in the cold... By the time I reached home, it was 9.30pm... It took me an hour to get home. [sweatdrop] The express is really express..

However, the food and catching up with a good friend totally outweighs the transport wait and the cold weather. So I'm looking forward to the next trip out. Cheers~!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

[mouth waters]

That's WAAYYYY better than the "tau foo fa" i'm eating XD

ladywinters said...

[lol] My sweet tooth is happy thus I am happy. [grin] Ooo... tau foo fa. Me want that too..